Saturday, April 28, 2012

18 Years Ago, Today

My brother, Dane Tyler Petersen was born.

I was 13 years old, and so happy that my mom was having a baby. Everything about it excited me. I remember looking at my pregnant mother, and thinking she was so beautiful, thinking that she just glowed. I wanted to do something special for the birth of this baby boy. I walked down to the craft store with my money from babysitting. I picked out a cross stitch pattern and all the thread. I wanted it to be a surprise for my mom, so I worked on it secretly in by bedroom.

I still remember the night Dane was born. I had been sleeping. My parents came in and woke me up. They told my that mom's water had broken and asked me to sleep in their bed so that when my brothers and sister woke up I would be there. Dane was born on April 28, 1994. I was so excited to meet him and hold him and help take care of him.

And I did help take care of him, quite a bit. I loved it! Dane was such a fun little guy. When I moved out 5 years later, leaving Dane and Mickell was the hardest part for me. I loved helping those two little ones.

Dane grew up to be an amazing person. He showed all of us so much about patience and selflessness. I love him so much. It is still so hard for me that his life was shorter than any of us expected. I think of the amazing husband and father he would be. I wish my children would have had more time with him; that I could see him with Connor. My heart aches at our loss.
But I am so grateful for the blessing of having Dane as my younger brother for 17 1/2 years.
This is one of my favorite pictures of him from Jonathan and Jessica's reception. I love the way it captures his smile and the light in his eyes.
 Dane, you are truly amazing. Thank you for all you showed me, and each member of my family. I love you so, so much.

2 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Ah so sweet! He did meet Connor it just wasn't here on earth. :) Happy Birthday Dane!

Danielle said...

What a great post, Kathleen. I can't imagine how hard his loss has been for your family. But I see how well you all take care of each other, and look out for and love each other. I don't doubt he's on the other side, still caring and looking out for all of you.