Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dora and Diego Birthday Party Adventure!

I am finally getting to posting about the birthday party. It hasn't quite been a month.
Camping with Grandma and Grandpa
The day before the party, Grandma and Grandpa Petersen came to take Camryn and Kendra camping! They have been asking to go camping with Grandma and Grandpa for awhile now. Dane and Mickell came too, but instead of going camping, they stayed to help Kent and me get ready for the party.
While we four stayed home, my parents, along with Camryn and Kendra, headed to the South Hills. Here are some pictures they shared from their camping trip.


I didn't send any swimsuits and there was water. Where there is water, these girls must swim.

The girls had a great time! Thanks so much Grandma and Grandpa Petersen!

They came back just in time to get ready for the party.


Our Dora and Diego Adventure Party


We started by coloring until most of the kids arrived. Then we all went out back to see the birthday cakes. When we got out back, Swiper the Fox was there! He came and swiped the birthday cakes and hid them at his secret hiding place! We had to find the cakes!
For each child there was a backpack (like Dora's) or a rescue pack (like Diego's). Inside was a map, some binoculars, and other things we used later.

First on the map was the rainbow path.There was a big hole in most of the posters. The kids had to find the missing shapes that were spread out on the grass and find their places.


Once the kids had fixed the rainbow path, they were ready to walk down it.












At the end of the path was this picture of boots. He was missing a boot, but the kids each had one in their backpack.



Next on the map was crocodile lake. We got a message that there were baby ducks in the lake that needed to be rescued before the crocodiles got them.


After all of the baby ducks were safe, we were off to find the tunnel to Swiper's hiding place.










But in front of the entrance was a sleeping bear! I told the kids to look in their backpacks for something to wake the bear. They found their maracas.



They woke the bear, who sleepily moved out of the way. But the tunnel was dark. What could they use to see in the dark? In their backpacks were little mini flashlights.



They came out of the tunnel inside the tent (Swiper's hiding place) and found the cakes.













Presents















After cake and ice cream, we let the kids loose to play.














Thanks to everyone that came.




Helpers

Mickell and Dane worked HARD. We couldn't have done it without you two! We still owe you one.

My man. He helped from start to finish. He helped me plan it out, get ready, set up, and everything.

Happy Birthday Girls! We love you!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I am speechless, you have officially won the mom of the year award! You know you make me look bad, my kids are always going to tell me how much cooler your party's are! ;) The whole party looked so awesome, good job you guys, Camryn and Kendra have to know that they are VERY loved! I wish we could have been there. I love the picture of the girls coming out of the tunnel.
Thank you for posting this, I have been dying to see it! I love you guys sooooo much!

Ashley said...

This is SO stinkin cool! You totally set up an entire episode of Dora the Explorer in your backyard! You rule!

Marsha said...

That is so funny, I was just thinking as I read your blog that you deserved the mother of the year (should be century) award, and Nicole said it already!
I'm so glad we got to be part of that weekend. You are amazing parents, you make such memorable memories for your children.
The camping experience was great. It was a perfect camping spot, and Hide and Seek with those two was hilarious. I still smile when I think about it.
Thanks for letting us enjoy it with you!

The Cook Clan said...

Kathleen, you're AMAZING! I so wished we could have been there. That looks like such a blast! I'm so excited to plan our kiddos parties.

Laura said...

Oh. MY. Gosh!!!! My girls would've DIED at that fun party!!!! That's amazing. You are one amazing mom. I would've been impressed if I'd just made the cakes look as cute as yours. haha. ;)

Candra said...

what a COOL party!! i wish i could have been a kid and gone to it!! lol how did you come up with all the ideas for it?!!? maybe from here on out, i will have you plan all my kids bday parties!! :) hey when do you find out if your having a boy or girl!?!? or are you going to find out!?!? :) its gotta be soon if so!!