Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baby Update

This week has been a roller coaster ride. On Tuesday morning, the day after Corinne was born, at 8:30am we are told they are taking our daughter to the NICU.

I was GBS positive, which meant that our baby was at risk for contracting a serious infection during delivery. When I was in labor I was started on IV antibiotics, which significantly decreases the risk to the baby. The baby is still screened for complications. So Tuesday morning they drew her blood for testing. Her WBC count came back a little high and her CRP was more than double what it should be. She was also having a hard time maintaining her body temperature. These were all signs that she was getting an infection, so she was admitted to the NICU and started on antibiotics.Here she is, on her first day in the NICU. She was stripped down and put under a warmer and hooked up to monitors that recorded her heart rate, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation.
She also had a stuffy nose, so she was put under a hood with humidified air. She never had to be given oxygen, just moisture to clear that stuffy nose.
The moisture did its job too. Humidifiers can be so good for a baby. Her poor little hand, with the IV in it.
She got off the warmer on Wednesday, and was maintaining her own body temperature. Then she was in jamas and blankets, but that left hand always had to be out and accessible.
Camryn and Kendra did get to come meet her, only one time since Corinne has been born. They have been so excited for her to be born, and they are still waiting for her to come home.
They are such good big sisters already. They love Corinne so much.
They ask me when me and the baby are coming home.
Since Corinne has been in the hospital, I have spent most of my time there too. I am breastfeeding, and have been able to continue to do so, but it has meant I have had to be available for feedings. We have gotten "hands on" time every 3 hours. During that time I nurse her, change her diaper, and hold her. It is supposed to be limited to 30 minutes, but Corinne has been doing so good since her admission, they usually give us more like an hour. In between feedings I get to eat, sleep, and spend some time with Camryn and Kendra. I haven't had near enough time to do any of those things as good as I should.
Corinne never seemed too sick. They caught it really early with the screening,which we consider a huge blessing. She is supposed to be discharged tonight, after her last dose of antibiotics. We can't wait to bring her home.
During all of this, we had another big something going on. Kent has needed sinus surgery for a long time. Right now, for a short period of time, we are double covered on insurance. So he had surgery scheduled for Wednesday (the day after Corinne was admitted). When we planned this, we didn't think it would be too bad. I would be recovering from having a baby and he would be recovering from surgery. My mom planned to be here to help take care of the kids and help us. We didn't anticipate Corinne being hospitalized. When it happened, we still went ahead with Kent's surgery.
My mom was a life saver. She spoiled Camryn and Kendra and took such good care of them. She left Wednesday night and my sister, Nicole, showed up. Nicole took care of my two girls and her two girls, and attended to Kent. I was MIA, at the hospital most of the time. I don't know what we would have done without them. Thank you, thank you, thank you to my mom and sister.
Thank you also to those of you who have caught wind of what was going on and helped us. So many have offered their help and support. It means so much.
So tonight, we bring our baby home. Kent is starting to recover. Things are falling into place. Thank you for your prayers and support.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh Kathleen--I'm so sorry! My heart goes out to you and we'll be keeping you and your family in our prayers.

I know what you mean though about being blessed and grateful for modern medicine. I was GBS positive, too (but since my labor was soooo long and they pumped antibiotics in me every 4 hours right up until it was time to push) and we were really grateful for the tests they do for the mother's and baby's protection.

We can't wait for you to get her home!!

Danielle said...

Oh how scary! But I'm glad she's doing great! Justin was in the NICU, and even though I knew he was never as sick as the other babies, it was so hard not to be able to take him home right away and hold him all I wanted! Good thing for Grandmas though!!

The Cook Clan said...

Oh that is such a hard thing. We know the feeling. I sure hope she gets to come home. Its rough on everyone when baby has to stay at the hospital. Good luck! Her pics are super doober cute!

Katrina Wilson said...

Oh she is precious! I can't wait to meet her. I'm glad she is doing well. I miss you at work!!

Travis said...

I don't think I have seen anything more delicate and angelic than that sweet little girl (in those pictures I can't wait to hold the little angel)! You are such an amazing mother, your girls will always know how loved they are by their parents. I hope you are just loving having all your girls home tonight and finally being together as one healthy family. I am just grateful for the opportunity I had to help out, no matter how small, you guys do so much for us. We love you all so much and you will continue to be in our prayers.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations...and I hope you can just enjoy her now and not have to worry about her!!!!

Julie w said...

so glad all is going well! Can't wait to see and hold her!