Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Goals

September 2007, this was me right after I completed my first half marathon in Pocatello.


That fall I also ran the Rim to Rim in Twin Falls and the Boise Women's Celebration. Thanks to my friend, Roxanne, I was hooked on running events like this.

That was all right after I decided to file for a divorce. Running helped my self-confidence, helped me feel in control. Completing that race was something I really needed at that time.

The worst wasn't over yet though. The next two years were really hard for me. I had a lot of emotional stuff to work though. I got really depressed, quit running, and quit eating healthy. I put on 35 lbs.

Thankfully, with the help of family, I was able to work through all that emotional stuff. Kent came into my life. I now feel stronger emotionally and more confident than I ever have. I started exercising and lost 10 lbs. Then I got pregnant.

Now physically, I am starting from scratch. I started to run again 7 weeks ago. I am running 3 miles at a time, at least 3 days a week. I just started going to spinning class as well.


MY GOAL:
2010 Pocatello Half Marathon on September 4th.
.
The 12 week training program will start the week of June 13th. Now, I always try to get others to exercise with me, but especially to do a race with me. I have had the best partner EVER commit to do this race with me. Kent has also run 13 miles before, but last time he did it in combat boots with a 70lb pack on his back.
.
I would invite ANYONE to join us. The more the merrier. There is a full marathon (26.2 miles), a half marathon (13.1 miles--our goal), a 10 K (6.2 miles), a 5 k (3.1 miles), and a 1.5 mile event. Go to http://www.pocatellomarathon.com/ for more info.
.
We are both in the worst shape of our lives right now, but we have both started running and WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS!

6 comments:

Katrina Wilson said...

Good for you!! If this summer wasn't already so crzy I'de be there. but I'll have to catch you at the next one but I'm going to!!

Roxanne said...

Nice work guys! I just ran the Ogden half marathon and may be running the Twin Falls half in a few weeks. I would say yes to the Pocatello but we have plans.
I know you can do it! I will be cheering for you. If you ever need a partner for your long runs give me a call.

Unknown said...

That is awesome!!! I remember that first marathon in Pocatello so well, you did so awesome and your girls acted like you were a celebrity every time you ran past us. Setting a goal for a race would make it easier to push myself when working out, I have such bad knees but I would love to do it... maybe next year ;)

The Cook Clan said...

Congrats! That is really exciting Kathleen! I'm excited for you. That is a huge accomplishment.

Julie w said...

Good luck guys! I hate races so I'll leave this up to you guys! I'm a good cheerleader though! Gimme a K... Okay, I'll stop.

Marsha said...

You've always been able to do anything you put your mind to. And with Kent running by your side, well, it will make a great time for your family to watch with pride smiles. I can't wait!