Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Kent!!!

Kent had a birthday a couple weeks ago. He works so hard all year round. He rarely buys anything for himself, or even expresses a desire to buy something. I wanted to treat him on his birthday, but struggled with what I could do for him.

I decided to surprise him with a relaxing weekend for just the two of us in Lava Hot Springs. It is a small Idaho town with natural hot pools that are wonderful to relax in.


I had to pull him away from fixing our sprinkler system to go, but he did come willingly. His birthday was 1 week before our final weigh in for our 12 week challenge, so we had to be healthy the entire time. I brought meat to grill and other healthy food we were able to prepare. One morning, we went for a 5.5 mile walk. It was great to have the time to do something like that.


I forgot our camera, so we tried to take a few with my phone. Kent took these on our walk. It snowed that day, which made the sun bright, but I don't think you can tell.
You can't have a birthday without birthday cake, but we had to be healthy.

I came up with this, which had about 250 calories per plate. It was angel food cake, with fat free cheesecake pudding, and fresh strawberries cut up with splenda, all layered together. It was pretty yummy, for diet cake.

.


We went and relaxed in the hot pools a couple of times, which was really nice. We also relaxed in our room and watched movies. .


Relaxation was what I was going for, and I think we got it. Kent has been working so hard in school, and is doing amazing! Right now he has three hard classes: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, and Calculus. He's also been working on getting our yard going for spring. Plus working his butt off at the gym. Work, work, work...he needed a break..

After we got back, he opened presents with our girls. Corinne was already asleep, but Camryn and Kendra couldn't wait to open presents.

Kent was completely surprised by his new shirts.Who looks most excited?We got him waders for fishing. Then came the thank you tickles.










I love you, honey!!!


Happy Birthday!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lava sounds like the perfect get away for a relaxing weekend! Kent does work so hard and that's awesome that you were able to take him away for a couple days! I'm not going to lie though... I'm a little disappointed. I wanted to see some pics of you guys at the springs so Kent could show off his big guns! Wow, you really can tell such a huge difference just in the pictures you posted though! You two are my heroes! The last pictures are too cute with the girls jumping in anticipation at Kent opening his presents, love them!

Kate said...

Kathleen, That sounds like so much fun.. There is nothing like a getaway with the Hubby. I am glad you had fun, and so proud of you for sticking to your Healthy routine. I know I would have failed miserably. I love Junk food to much to say no to it!!

Happy Birthday Kent.
Hope to see you soon Kathleen, I just love your family!!

Julie w said...

Way to go with the healthy stuff, on your birthday no less! Wow! That takes a LOT of determination! Happy birthday Man! You're lucky to have Kathleen that knows how to make all the healthy foods!